Powering Our Future Mines Webinar 2: Going off the Grid with Secure Energy
Energy transformation represents an incredible opportunity for the mining industry.
Mining is an energy intensive activity, with substantial power needed in areas such as comminution, blasting, drilling, de-watering, transportation and ventilation. Operations have traditionally relied on conventional fuel sources such as diesel and oil, but economic and social forces have led to executives exploring alternative sources.
The second webinar of Austmine's Powering our Future Mines series will explore energy solutions for remote off-grid mine sites. These operations currently rely on diesel or oil electricity generation which is often expensive and inefficient. Driven by economic and environmental incentives, these mines have been early adopters of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind and microgrids.
Speakers will discuss:
- The current landscape of energy transmission for remote mining operations;
- New energy sources being trialled and implemented on site;
- Challenges faced in employing new energy technologies;
- Case study of alternative energy sources on remote mines.
- Steve Bayne, Sector Manager - Projects, Utilities, Australia Pacific Region, Aggreko